Monday, May 19, 2008

Of What?

Completion is somehow one of the most difficult things in this world for me to master. I take for example the best example I can think of… the reason I know that this is a problem for me: school. In almost every single situation I receive an obligation I do about ninety percent of it, no matter how small.

This has ironically become even more obvious in the last weeks of this school year. Because I am taking 5 AP classes, and I have taken the tests for all of them, there isn’t much to do in the wide majority of my classes. One would think this would only improve my success in classes that I still have to do good work in when in fact this is not the case.

Despite my workload being only 1/6th of what it was only two weeks ago I often fail to meet quota per se. This doesn’t actually bother me this much, but does raise a question in my mind: how bad is this going to be when I am a senior? People always joke toward the end of the year saying, “oh I’ve got senioritis” but I’m sure that the real thing is twice as harsh.

According to the masses, this Wednesday we become seniors. Will my senioritis suddenly become justified? Will it increase in strength? Will it have no affect? It is truly perplexing what a good title or a good placebo can do. When you become a senior and have a good work ethic, I suppose chances are you won’t lose it until someone asks you, “Think you have senioritis?” It’s like that one guy from that one movie that is convinced that he has mono. Either way I only have ninety percent of that work ethic… it shouldn’t be hard to get rid of.

On a side note of this I would like to address our tendency to shoot for all or nothing. A 100% work ethic person is tough to compromise, while anyone else can be dropped to zero in seconds. It’s like the misguided thought that we have all had sometime as a kid: you get punished, you get mad. Then you decide that seeing as how you are already being punished; why not go out with a bang? Here’s to seniors.

No comments: