Thursday, April 10, 2008

lowered? Am I no

Nostalgia is wicked sick. This past weekend I helped myself to a big serving of Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy’s Quest and I feel as if my socks have been thoroughly rocked off of my body. Since then I have been able to find them and return them to my feet, but the magic is not lost.

It was like taking a trip down memory lane, to a simpler time, to a time before I had solved every secret in the game. And it was right. I had forgotten much of my roots. Back in the day, or at least my version of the day, we struggled for hours to solve some secrets; this weekend I struggled to remember the past.

Still I had the good times revisit me. I got beat down by Klubba when I didn’t have enough kremcoins, I one shotted King Zing Sting, I navigated Bramble Blast, and I found all of the DK coins (even if it took me a while). It felt great, but I really do wonder how good it could have made me feel if I had never played it before. Sure, today I consider it a timeless classic that no one could hate, but I find myself wondering as I often do: has my ability lowered? Am I no longer capable of what I once was? Could I still have beaten this fresh if I started 5 years later? It only pisses me off because I will never know.

No comments: