Tuesday, April 15, 2008

The next big problem with language arts…

Periodically I feel I must do what I am now accustomed to do: complain. Once again I do what has now almost become ritual: complete homework while bitching about it. I will never like L.A., but there is something even more definite than this –I will never get a good grade in an L.A. class.

The audience, after hearing this most recent statement, is undoubtedly split on what to think of this. Some of you may note that fact to be an absolute travesty, noting that my ability is astounding and infallible. Some of you may agree with it, looking back on what outsiders might consider a lack of effort. I would say that both parties are incorrect.

What makes me do poorly in L.A. is the fact that I suck. Ironically, while most find it a simple class: the study of the language that they use EVERY DAMN DAY OF THEIR LIVES. Hell, we even THINK about things in English. But there is a catch. It is all too easy to have enough to get by in such a class. Can you read? Can you write? Can you sound things out? – if you answered yes to any two of those you are hired.

Unfortunately, if I can get by with something I will. Big surprise. Over the years, my skills have done nothing but degenerate. Reading as little as possible and writing to match for all of my high school career, my vocabulary has seen no improvement, and in fact, I now reside on the low end of reading and comprehension. I can’t spell either.

Here in lies moral: the reason I hate this class. There is no easy way out. You can’t cram for English. There is nothing more to learn to significantly improve your success. All you can do is practice –something I haven’t been doing for quite some time. Thanks to this I must accept my fate. It will lower my college entrance exam scores and keep my ITED composite score down as well. Every test in the world is first a reading test and then a test of the subject. I will get there someday.

No comments: