Thursday, March 6, 2008

Getting a Head

Amazing what syntax does for us. The opposite of my current title would be Losing a Head, but should I take out a single worthless space my opposite becomes Getting Behind. True enough I only write right now to take advantage of some free time, but can't I make my drive efficient?

Syntax is while moderately cool as a word it is almost completely lame as a topic. Too bad, that's just who I am. I love the idea that everything I write can be mangled by the addition or subtration of a comma. There was a quote we were given in phychology class (we were asked to add punctuation): "He without her is nothing"

He showed us the two most common responses:
He, without she, is nothing
and
He. Without, she is nothing

That's not quite right, but it was the idea.

This issue brought me to a much higher level of caution when writing things. I won't lie to whoever reads this; I spam commas. I don't spam as much as I used to (which isn't really an accomplishment) but I still over use them.

Realizing then how hard it truly is to write with digression I have developed a respect for writers. I can't do it. In most of my work a comma goes anywhere I would naturally pause if I were reading it aloud. For example: This, I thought, to myself, was an interesting, yet, coinsidental issue. Exagguration? yes. Much Exagguration? Nah...

Long, Story short,:,,,, good, for you, authors, in gen,eral,

3 comments:

Connman_77 said...

i too am very fond of commas. they are very nice.

-alex

Ytse_ham said...

I am not very fond of stalkers. Stand up and yell "potato" so I may know your identity or I will be forced to call up my homie Chris Hansen.

pizarron said...

He speaks the truth! Commas are definitely way too easy to overuse. Didn't seem like you had any problems in this post with them though?