Sunday, March 16, 2008

Of Another Reason To Hate LA

So here I am awaiting the inevitable. Soon enough I will have to write a fully fledged research paper with citations and credentials and appeals to ethos all the while avoiding bad things like needlessly and probably incorrectly throwing words like “ethos” into a paragraph. That’s a lot of stress, but that isn’t the worst part.

The worst part is something that is mildly knocking at your brain until you finish all of the language studies you will in your life, something that goes against what most of your other scholarly teachers would say, and that is simply time frame.

A teacher of science or social studies would thoroughly encourage you to take your time with large assignments. Do it bit by bit, don’t overload yourself, take your time, be responsible in this aspect, and don’t do it last minute. And they’re right. That’s the kind of stuff that gets you ahead in life… it teaches you responsibility, and makes your life easier. Language Arts will never intentionally make your life easier.

If you write a paper you write a paper. You can’t say, “Well I suppose I’ll write the opening and the body and come back to the closing later” or write a paragraph a day. Books I can understand, but I am writing a research paper. If I have a good idea of how I want this paper to look, I can’t stand to do it brick by brick. Paragraphs would overlap and flow like crap. So I do it all at once.

This isn’t always so bad, but you have to remember: this is a big paper. Big papers sit on your shoulder and weigh down your spirit until you kill them. Such an undertaking requires special timing and therefore typically waits until a Sunday night, which also doesn’t help. You do the little stuff to build esteem, always putting off the big as long as you can. Unfortunately you can’t make this big project a bunch of little ones; you just have to stick it out. Maybe if I could I wouldn’t be writing this right now.

1 comment:

pizarron said...

I would have to agree, it's going to take a long Sunday night to slay this mighty beast of a paper. PS OLD GREG RULES