Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Shelling Out

Taking a step into the real world is always kind of depressing. As you age, you are inevitably told by your teacher, “You are X graders now, you should be able to Y, or Z with out me telling you” and they’re right. Unfortunately we don’t always want to hear this. A psychologist will tell you what kids my age never would. Give me respect but no responsibility. No such thing as the best of two worlds.

We have been given a direct challenge this year: to write a legitimately dominating research paper. The fact that it must be done professionally is the only fact we are given. We are open to all topics and we are given much guidance. Our time budget is broad and our class time is ample. All we have to do is take a step into the real world. It is surprisingly difficult. I love my shell, I’m used to it here, and I wouldn’t mind staying. Jerk.

But here I am, conducting research in a brave new world. Some day I’ll look back on it all in casual conversation with a colleague and say, “Most memorable thing I ever did in high school LA? Meth”

No comments: